CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

6.15.12 Teryaki Chicken and Fried Rice Bowls - Day 12 70 DOS

This isn't the best (as in most creative/fancy...it did taste excellent though) recipe and unfortunately not completely my own but it was requested so here goes.

I actually marinated boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a teriyaki sauce I got at Costco.  I am working on getting a picture of it but if you don't have a Costco or can't find it there, you could do equal parts soy sauce and teriyaki sauce, lots of minced garlic, a few generous shakes of dried ground ginger (or fresh if you like), and 4 - 5 shakes of dried crushed red bell pepper flakes (like the kind you see at pizza places).  I also added to the Costco sauce, the grated rind of an orange and fresh juice from the orange.  I marinated the chicken over - night and Andy grilled it.  Be sure your grill is on high in order to sear both sides and then turn it to medium so the insides will slowly cook making a nice and crispy seared exterior with a juicy interior.

Fried Rice Ingredients:
- 1. c. brown rice, cooked as directed on the package**
- 1 c. shelled and thawed edamame
- 2 - 3 large eggs
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 - 4 tbs. soy sauce
- 1tbs. olive oil
- sesame seeds
- 1 green zuccini squash
- green onions chopped
- 1/2 pint mushrooms, stems removed, chopped into small pieces

After grilling the chicken, we sliced it thinly and set it aside to top the rice bowl.

As the chicken was grilling, I was steaming brown rice.  I use the kind that takes about 45 min. to cook and I ONLY put water in the pan - **no butter or salt.  Follow the directions on the package - 1 c. water for every 2 c. water.

As the rice and chicken are cooking, chop up half of your onion and mince your garlic.  Next, slice the ends of the zucchini off.  Stand it up vertically and slice three columns.  Next, turn it and slice 3 rows.  Lay it back on its side and thinly slice so that the rows/columns break apart into small pieces of zucchini.  Chop the mushrooms into small pieces as well and set all veggies aside.

Heat a wok (if you have one...I don't so I use my All Clad large saute pan - it is NOT non-stick) on medium and add your tbs. of olive oil.  Then add the onions and garlic and cook until translucent.   Next, saute the zucchini until it is lightly browned. After that, crack your egg(s) - we usually use two because we like more but you can just do one - and scramble them with the oil, onions, zucchini, and garlic.  Remove the veggies and eggs from the pan and add a little more oil.  Then, once your rice is finished being steamed, add it to the pan and spread it all along the bottom.  You are "frying" the rice so let it brown a little in the oil before stirring.  I usually flatten it along the bottom of the pan, let it sit, stir, and then flatten again for a bout 5 min.  Once it gets "fried", salt and pepper and add the veggies back.  Stir and let cook for a couple more min. then add the soy sauce and sprinkle sesame seeds to your liking.

Once you have finished the rice, you may plate it and place the sliced grilled teriyaki chicken on top.  Andy liked adding even more teriyaki sauce to the top but this one does have high fructose corn syrup in it so I decided not to add anymore.

This was a very impromptu and quick meal.  If I were making it for a post, I might also garnish it with some cilantro and serve steamed broccoli on the side.  I also don't have any pictures for this recipe but next time I make it I will post some pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment